Monday, May 9, 2011

All Done.....Literally!

I didn't mean to fall off the face of the blogging universe but once I left for Stockholm I got distracted, (that's what happens when an ENTIRE SWEDISH HOCKEY TEAM is in the same airport lounge as me :), dreams really do come true sometimes). Alas I have arrived back home in Canada and have been in a relaxed state ever since (minus the random freakouts over having to figure out my life and all that jazz). I arrived home on April 29th after 28 hrs of travel, 5 airports and countless delays. I was picked up in Halifax by my exhausted but amazing family. We arrived home in Washabuck at exactly 7am, just in time to watch Will & Kate walk down the aisle. (sleep truly is overrated).

The fun hasn't stopped as this past weekend I graduated from UPEI with my Bachelor of Education degree, specialization in International Education. It was amazing to see so many friends again and to hear of their tales from abroad. It was bittersweet to leave them all behind but there are many promises of visits to come. My peers, now colleagues are people I will never forget and will always be fondly remembered for their roles in my development as an educator.

However, grad day had to come to a quick end as we had a very important event to return home for. We jumped on the ferry only to be met with a wonderful surprise. Former NS Premier, the Honorable John Buchanan was on board. He was one of my grandfather Joe's best friends and dad thought that on my graduation day, nothing would make Grandma Dolena happier than a picture with someone who around our home is a legend the likes of Gretzky and Orr. He was an amazing man, spending the rest of the ride telling us stories about my grandfather and his Tory antics as well as many stories about how politics were done in the good old days and tales of the tories coming out on top. Let's just say that Grandma's mother's day was extra special when she saw the pictures. :)

That big event we had to get home for was none other than the 1st birthday party of my absolutely amazing and fantastic and handsome godson Mr. Thomas Malcolm. (Little Malcie, as uncle Kevin calls him). The little man was in his glory clapping along to Happy Birthday (not so impressed when the song ended) and of course diving into the cake (which he wasn't supposed to eat). We did placate him with chocolate icing and vanilla ice cream. He was quite impressed with his collection of new toys and stylish clothes (that is, as impressed as a 1 year old can get).

I will finish off with some photos and a promise to get around to writing a blog about the end of my trip and Stockholm shortly! Until then, I leave you with the words of our convocation speaker, former NFLD Premier Danny Williams who gave an amazing address ending with (in latin, so as to not offend anyone) "Don't let the B*****ds get you down!"

 Janna, Holly & I
 BEd class of 2011
 With mom & dad
 Craig & Angie
 A collection of international girls! Holly, Lyd, me, Janna, Kelly & Katie
Dad, myself and the Hon. John Buchanan

2 comments:

  1. Mantha, I was thinking of Joe, last week during the election and telling Glenn what a big Tory he was. It's hard to believe it has been almost 19 years since he's been gone. He'd be awfully proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Samantha I think there was some divine interventions happening here. a message from your Grampy that he was right there with you as you graduated!! He was one of my Dad's favourite as well. Good ol' Honest John!! Congrat's on your graduation, you'll make a phenomenal teacher!!

    ReplyDelete